Welcome To Gaya

Gaya District was established in the year of 1865. Gaya was a part of the district of erstwhile Behar and Ramgarh till 1864. It was given the status of independent district in 1865. Subsequently, in May 1981, Magadh Division was created by the Bihar State Government with the districts of Gaya, Nawada, Aurangabad and Jehanabad. All these districts were at the level of sub-division when the Gaya district was created in 1865.

Categories

These information has been added here..

Education

History

Sub-Divisions

Tourist Attractions

Transportion

Education

There are a number of schools in Gaya District, most of them are very popular and provide better education as compared with other cities, names are as follows, Zila School, Gaya, Mahavir School, Town School, T Model School, Gaya High School, Hadi Hashmi High School, Qasmi High School, Agrawal high school, Belaganj are some of the schools being run under the Bihar School Examination Board in Gaya for quite long time. Other prominent schools under the CBSE/ICSE are: Kendriya Vidyalaya, Nazareth Academy, Gyan Bharti, Creane Memorial School, DAV Rotary Campus, Subhash International School and DAV Cannt Area. Many new schools have come up in recent time and these are: St. Ann's School, Jai Hind Public School, Allied International School, Shatabdi Public School, Spring Dales, Green field and, High School (Kormathu), High School (Paibigha). +2 High School (Paraiya), +2 Ashok High School (Paraiya), High School Bala Bigha, M. S. Bala Bigha, Elegant Public School, Gautam Buddha Mahila College.The Central University of Bihar, Gaya is one of the two central universities that is being established by the Union Government at Gaya besides the one at Motihari. The CUB, Gaya campus, is coming up at Panchanpur, 16 km from Gaya town and 110 km from Patna. In addition to existing 13 Master Programmes at the temporary campus at BIT, Patna, this year (2013-14) the University is launching Five Year Integrated B.A, LL.B (Hon's.) and B.Sc, LL.B(Hon's.) Under graduate and Four Year Integrated Dual Degree B.A. B.Ed. and B.Sc. B.Ed. Programmes besides 4 Master Programmes. The establishment of A. M. B. Ed. College, the first ever B. Ed. unit in a constituent college of Magadh University, is yet another [10] illustrious milestone in the annals of academic history of the region. Satyapal Chandra is widely credited as emerging English author breaking traditionally stereotype.

History

Gaya finds mention in the great epics, Ramayana and Mahabharata. Rama along with Sita and Lakshmana visited Gaya for offering PIND-DAAN to their father Dasharath. In Mahabharata, the place has been identified as Gayapuri. About the origin of the name ‘Gaya' as referred to in Vayu Purana is that Gaya was the name of a demon (Asura) whose body was pious after he performed rigid penance and secured blessings from Vishnu. It was said that the Gayasura's body would continue to be known as Gaya Kshetra. Gaya has experienced the rise and fall of many dynasties in the Magadh Region. From the 6th century BC to the 18th century AD, about 2300–2400 years, Gaya has been occupying an important place in the cultural history of the region. It opened up with the Sisunaga dynasty founded by Sisunaga, who exercised power over Patna and Gaya around 600 BC. Bimbisara, fifth in line, who lived and ruled around 519 BC, had projected Gaya to the outer world. Having attained an important place in the history of civilisation, the area experienced the bliss of Gautam Buddha and Bhagwan Mahavir during the reign of Bimbisara. After a short spell of Nanda dynasty, Gaya and the entire Magadha region came under the Mauryan rule with Ashoka (272 BC – 232 BC) embracing Buddhism. He visited Gaya and built the first temple at Bodh Gaya to commemorate Prince Gautama's attainment of supreme enlightenment. The period of Hindu revivalism commenced with the coming of the Guptas during the 4th and 5th century A.D. Samudragupta of Magadh helped to bring Gaya in limelight. It was the headquarters of Behar district during the Gupta empire. Gaya then passed on to the Pala Empire with Gopala as the ruler. It is believed that the present temple of Bodh Gaya was built during the reign of Dharmapala, son of Gopala. Gaya was in the 12th century invaded by Muhammad Bakhtiyar Khilji. But the Hindu rulers defeated his generals later. The place finally passed on to the Britishers after the battle of Buxar in 1764. Gaya, along with other parts of the country, won freedom in 1947. Gaya formed a part of the district of Behar and Ramgarh till 1864. It was given the status of independent district in 1865. Subsequently, in May 1981, Magadh Division was created by the Bihar State Government with the districts of Gaya, Nawada, Aurangabad and Jehanabad. All these districts were at the level of sub-division when the Gaya district was created in 1865. Gaya has seen three districts partitioned off from its territory: Aurangabad and Nawada in 1976 and Jehanabad in 1988.

Sub-Divisions

Sub Divisions

Gaya District comprises 4 Sub-divisions:

Gaya Sadar

Neemchak Bathani

Sherghati

Tekari

Blocks:Gaya Sadar, Manpur, Bodh Gaya, Wazirganj, Belaganj; Khizarsarai, Atri, Nimchakbathani, Muhra; Sherghati, Amas, Mohanpur, Fatehpur, Barachatti, Imamganj, Dumaria, Bankey Bazar, Dobhi, Tankuppa, Gurua, Guraru, Paraiya, Tekari, Konch

Tourist Attractions

The river Phalgu flows through the district. The waterbed of the river is below ground level and only the sandy surface is visible along the river bed. It is a very sacred river for the Hindus. Bodhgaya is the most popular destination for the tourists and Buddhist pilgrims. The Mahabodhi Temple where the Buddha attained enlightenment in around 600 BCE had been announced as the World Heritage site by the UNESCO since 2002.

Transportion

Gaya does not have an airport of its own. There is a small railway station, which is located on the northern part of the town. As Gaya is on the main Delhi?Calcutta railway line, there are a number of trains to Delhi, Calcutta, Varanasi, Puri and Patna. There are two bus stands in Gaya, on either side of the Falgu River. The Gandhi Maidan bus station is on the west side of the Falgu River and there are a number of buses to Patna (4 hours) and Ranchi (7 hours), from here. One can catch buses for Rajgir (3 hours) from the Gaurakshini bus station to the east of the Falgu River. There is good bus service for the holy towns of Bodhgaya and Varanasi. Auto-rickshaws ply between Gaya and Bodhgaya, but they are overcrowded, most of the time.